Saturday, 30 June 2012

 Saturday 30th June 2012


Good morning; yes I know the font has changed but I figured as I'm using my left hand now....
So, update?
I went back to the fracture clinic on wednesday, had a new cast ( I chose the colour purple) and had a new xray. The good news is I really didn't want it pinned, not because of the scar factor, I'm not vain enough to be bothered by that; but for the time factor in healing. So the doc says;
 "we're not going to pin it, it could be in a better place but it's acceptable. Are you a musician or athlete?"
"No,I work in retail. Why, are you telling me that if I played the violin you would pin it, but because I work in a shop you won't?"
"Well, not exactly but if you used your hand we would want you to have maximum mobility"
"And I don't need maximum because I work in a shop?"  He looked slightly uncomfortable.
"Look; will my wrist look like this one" (my left)
"Yes"
"Will I be able to move it just as this one?"
"Yes"
I should have told him I'm a writer and photographer....
I met a lovely lady in the waiting area. I sat in the physiotherapy area rather than "zone 2" and she was sitting next to me. We never exchanged names, it wasn't necessary. She was very slight, early 60's blonde bob, very simple and classy lady. She had a mastectomy circa 8 years ago. She met her partner maybe 12 months before her diagnosis and lost her son 5 years ago. He was 33 and had a seizure alone at home which still pains her. We talked about angels. She believes he is with her often and white feathers have fallen at her feet on 3 occasions. I told her there are earth angels that will come into her life just at the moment they are needed.She was hoping to get in and out because it was her grandaughter's sports day. I hope she made it.
So, off I go for another follow up next Wednesday and I am hoping I  don't need to go back for 2 weeks so I can catch my flight to see my very lovely man.
When you break a limb, you really don't realise the implications of performing daily routines.
I realised that to shower would be difficult, so kinda half showered standing on the bath mat, realised I can actually have a bath, which is far easier than showering, and it's so nice to be relaxed in the warm water.
Getting dressed is time consuming so I'm currently in tracky bottoms and t.shirt. Even as much as, you put your left arm through then realise you have to put your right through first, and putting on a bra; Oh my god, how difficult. You have to lay it beneath you, bring it over your waist, hold it in place with the cast, bring the other side over, struggle to hook it then stand up, manouvere it around and hoist in your boobs, Phew, then sit down exhausted!!
I figured I'll eat toast, easy, no hassle; you think!! I toasted my bread, had the spread, knife in my left hand and then thought; "hmm, how am I going to hold my toast to butter it" So now I'm on cereal.
Sleep has been  very hit and miss for the whole week now. The constant brick weighing on you is so uncomfortable, and I'm really hoping that resolves itself because I look like shit far more than I feel like it.
I'm signed off for 6 weeks and so far I haven't been able to leave my home and not being able to drive limits me completely.
All in all I'm ok. This happened and I'll get over it.
As my Boo said "Babe, it's another hurdle and we'll get past it"
See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment